Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Where is the accountability?

Obviously, I’m a nail junkie. I surf through the web for nails. Nail colors, nail products, nail competitions…

I’m familiar with the nail magazines. Nailpro, Nails Mag, Nail Expert, Scratch…

I’m knowledgeable in all nail enhancement products. Acrylic, gel, gel polish, tips, wraps, powder dips, sprinkles, vinyls and veneers…

I’ve done my fair share of time in salon, on set, on platform and thoroughly entrenched in the nail competition arena...

I’ve even stood toe to toe with the “Board” in my state, challenging the legality or idiocy of an inspectors personal interpretation of the laws.

I’m fairly well-known and well-versed in this nail industry and I’ve made it my personal mission to be “legit”.

So, suffice it to say that when I run across the name of an “award winning-celebrity-in demand-international nail tech of the year” manicurist, I expect that I will actually find evidence of that person, in that role, in a google search with images.

If I can’t... I call bull shit!

Nothing irritates me more than some no-name, sub-standard nail tech touting...no, lying about their so-called successes to make a buck!

Oh, I suppose if you get just one trophy or even a certificate, that can make a person an “award winning whatever”. Even if the contest was a photo submission type of some nails, no way of telling who actually did them, who cares? It's “on your honor” right? Do they even have to be “nails” at this point? or can they be the modern day equivalent of Lee press-on-nails? Because how much talent does that take? Yep, just tape that little piece of plastic to that models fingers. Uh huh, that's a nail. Sure and the clients will be banging down your door to get some Lee press-ons!

Or maybe your entry was the only one that the competition received? Bingo! You’re a champ! Because the organizer needs to have at the very least, a name to submit for press release to give some semblance of validity to their “competition” so that they can keep taking money for it.

And while we're at it, it certainly doesn't take much effort to become a "celebrity" these days. Just do a little research into how Kim K. got her start and you'll see what I mean.

"In-demand?" Well sure, if you're the only manicurist in a 20 mile radius...and I ask you, readers, to put "international nail tech of the year" in a google search and what do you find? You guessed it, no competition, no event location, no way to register or participate...but anyone claiming to be one...yep, you'll surly find them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So go ahead, you award winner you. And make the rest of us, that got out of our salons and into an actual competition arena with other real nail stylists to do real nail enhancements on a live model to be judged by other factual award winners, roll our eyes in disgust at your fallacies.



Where is the accountability? I call bull shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment